Over 100 Years in Ross
St. John’s celebrated 100 years of worship in the chapel with a commemorative service June 1, 2012. The Rt. Rev. Bishop Marc Andrus of the Episcopal Diocese of California presided and religious leaders from Marin county and other officials were in attendance. A reception followed the service.
An article in the Marin Independent Journal about the anniversary can be read online.
Services have been held at the current site on Lagunitas Road since the 1880’s when it was known as the San Anselmo Chapel. The Episcopal Diocese of California officially acquired the site in 1908. The cornerstone of the current St. John’s Church was laid in 1910. Its inscription, “A house of prayer for all people,” is as strong a calling to the parish today as it was nearly a century ago. Worship services began June 2, 1912. Parts of the church were renovated and expanded in 1926, 1952 and 2006. St. John’s is one of the larger parishes of the Episcopal Diocese of California. Today, Father Chris Rankin-Williams serves as Rector of the church.
Approximately 300 people of all ages attend weekly worship services at St. John’s and participate in its youth programs and adult spiritual education classes. Non-profit community groups, and an independent, secular pre-school program also use church facilities during the week. The St. John’s membership and staff roster that now approaches 1000 actively serve in over 100 community organizations.