MUSIC FOR SUNDAY 04.22.18
Our prelude and postlude today feature two celebrated vocal works adapted for the organ – Mendelssohn’s “Abschied vom Wald” (“Farewell to the Forest”) and Beethoven’s “Die Ehre Gottes in der Natur” (“The Honor [Glory] of God in Nature”). The German Classic-Romantic composers and their counterparts in the world of painting and poetry were well aware of modernity’s growing separation from the ideality of a world ever more densely populated by humankind. In our E-Connect readers will find an image of the allegorical painting “Morning in the Great Mountains” (1810) by Beethoven’s North German contemporary Caspar David Friedrich.
In 1961 the Aeolian-Skinner Company of Boston installed the two-manual, 34-stop forerunner of our present sanctuary organ. In 2001 J. Nelson and Company enriched the instrument by the addition of 61 digitally-sampled voices and a 3-manual console from the Allen Company in Pennsylvania, allowing the performance of repertoire ranging in style from baroque to contemporary. The dedicatory concert of the present organ was given by the late Dr. Philip Hahn, then Music Director at St. John’s. Images of the instrument may be viewed here.